Combat poverty as an ESG Analyst with Swedfund
”During 40 years, we have gained valuable knowledge that helps us become even better and work even harder to complete our mission – to combat poverty by investing in sustainable businesses”. Now you have the opportunity to join Swedfund and use your analytical skills to help create a better life for people who need it the most. You will be a part of a small, purpose-driven team that works to integrate and monitor ESG considerations throughout the investment process. We are looking forward to receiving your application!
Swedfund is the Development Finance Institution of the Swedish state, with the mission to combat poverty by investing in sustainable businesses in the world’s most challenging markets. Swedfund’s capital comes with requirements, targets and close support throughout the investment cycle as they seek to be an active, responsible and long-term investor. Check out the video and read more about Swedfund here.
Swedfund was founded 1979 and the portfolio’s total contracted amount at the close of 2019 was 5.558 billion SEK, divided between 64 investments mostly in Sub Saharan Africa. The investments will continue to grow during the coming years, thus the need for more competent people to be part of the journey.
Your role and responsibilities
You will join the 4 person ESG Team that is responsible for integrating ESG considerations and developing Swedfunds sustainability approach for the whole portfolio. The team is a part of the larger departement ESG & Impact. Your role as an ESG Analyst is to fuel the entire ESG Team with relevant analysis and information, both quantitative and qualitative, for different stages of the investment processes. You will work with all ESG Managers and across various investments, particularly high-risk projects, to:
- Conduct ESG analysis of new potential investments, e.g. country analysis, contextual risk analysis, human rights, climate, water risk and other;
- Contribute during the active ownership phase, e.g. to analyze the annual ESG monitoring reports, follow up on the implementation of ESG Action Plans, update the contextual analysis and prepare the work of ESG Committees;
- Continuously improve Swedfund’s sustainability framework, tools, and reporting.
Do you have what it takes?
To be successful and thrive in this role we believe that you:
- Have a relevant academic background with at least a Bachelor’s degree
- Have an interest in and experience from synthesizing and presenting relevant information from large amounts of data, be it in text or numbers.
- Have basic knowledge of some of the ESG related international frameworks and management systems within environment and social, for example IFC, World Bank, IBHR, UNGP and ILO Conventions.
- Have 0-3 years of professional experience, preferably in responsible investment or sustainability. Experience from working in or with developing countries is a merit.
- Master data analytics and are able to work comfortably in Excel.
- Have full professional proficiency in English, both written and spoken. Additional language skills are an advantage.
As a person you are:
- An organized self-starter that can handle multiple projects, priorities and deadlines.
- Analytical, yet pragmatic.
- A quick learner eager to grow your expertise in the world of ESG related topics and sustainability.
- Able to collaborate effectively with a team, as teamwork is key to success in a small team with vast responsibilities both in terms of topics and geography.
Type of contract: Full-time permanent position
Place of work: Your home base is the Stockholm office, but the work is international so travels to the countries of operation might occur.
Start date: 1st of March 2020 at the earliest or as agreed by candidate and employer, but no later than the end of April 2020.
Other information: Swedfund will unfortunately not be able to host any non-EU visas for this role and any potential relocation to Stockholm will be at the candidate’s own expense.